Friday, October 26, 2012

Sketchbook Pages: 13

In Motion: Sketchbook Pages, blues, Nocturne in Black and Gold (The Falling Rocket
These pages are also ones from the summer and I found them separately, but decided to pair them together in adjacent pages because I liked how the blues complimented each other. What I really liked about the photos on the left was how 3D aspects changed the way the painted words looked. It made me eager to try combining 2D pieces with slightly 3D sections, which is what I'm working on with some of my IB studio pieces now.

The painting on the right, though, became one of my all time favorites the moment I saw it. It's called "Nocturne in Black and Gold (The Falling Rocket)" and was painted by James Abbot McNeill Whistler in 1874. Because I'm having to use an old camera right now, the quality of my pictures don't really do this painting justice, so I've included a better version below. I could seriously just stare at this piece for hours. I love that there are so many different things that you can see in the piece. I can see a cavern with people, a huge ship approaching a man and a woman on the beach, or those two looking at boats in a harbor with smoke in the air. Almost every time I look at it I see something new. I normally am not a huge abstract fan, but Whistler manages to combine abstract and slight realism in a fantastical and magical way. Not to mention the way that he uses the blues and greens to contrast the black and then the gold to highlight the blue. It's all so perfect!
In Motion: Nocturne in Black and Gold (The Falling Rocket) (painting link from here and here)
In Motion: Sketchbook Pages, blues, Nocturne in Black and Gold (The Falling Rocket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...